Presidential Leadership Award
The EMRA Presidential Leadership Award is annually awarded by the EMRA President to select leaders for outstanding service to EMRA and on behalf of EM physicians-in-training.
Each year, the EMRA President selects recipients based on service to EMRA.
Date of Inception
The 2022 awardee is:
Michael Galuska, MD, FACEP for his years of anonymous service to medical students, fierce advocacy for equity among all EMBound medical students, and examplary example of compassion, empathy, hard work and humility.
The 2020 awardees are:
Erik Blutinger, MD, MSc for his role on two boards, his fierce advocacy, and for increasing opportunities for residents to have a seat at the table with ACEP task forces and committees.
Angela Cai, MD, MBA for her policy work in the era of COVID, and for facilitating the first virtual EMRA conference with short notice.
Josh Davis, MD for expanding Case-Con to residents, for making research more accessible to members through innovative programming, and for helping members get published.
Omar Maniya, MD, MBA for leading the creation of our new strategic plan and for expanding leadership opportunities.
Ashley Penington for responding to the COVID pandemic with more EMRA Hangouts than ever before which generated record attendance.
Karina Sanchez, MD for innovating RepCo, Virtual RefCom, Virtual Public Hearing, Basecamp, and for her steadfast review of minutes and our governing documents.
Jazmyn Shaw for being a fierce advocate for medical students during the changing landscape during COVID to support them matching in emergency medicine through consensus statements, and for her personal guidance.
Greg Tanquary, DO, MBA for keeping members first.
The 2019 awardees are:
- Zach Jarou, MD for his work on EMRAMatch and advocacy against the Standardized Video Interview.
- Thomas Eales, DO for his award winning editorial on gun violence in EM Resident.
- Scott Pasichow, MD, MPH for his passionate advocacy for Emergency Medicine within the AMA.
- Eric McDonald, MD for his tireless service to EM residents within the ACGME RC-EM.
- Nathan Vafaie, MD, MBA for his work studying the future workforce needs of Emergency Medicine.
- Sara Dimeo, MD for creating EMRA*Cast, a new podcast for EM residents.
- Venkat Subramanyam, MD for creating EMRA 45 under 45, a celebration of influencers in EM.
- Nick Salerno, MD for helping develop MobilEM, EMRA’s consolidated on-shift mobile application.
- DJ Apakama, MD, MS for creating a virtual monthly informatics journal club.
- Shyam Murali, MD for innovating EMRA’s simulation resources with CHAOS in the ED.
- Aadil Vora, MD for founding EMRA CaseCon research competition.
- Marc Cassonne, DO for his work on EMRA MEDWAR and for EMRAFying his residency program.
- Mitali Mehta, MD for lending her creative expertise to design groundbreaking and aesthetically pleasing slides for EMRA Quiz Show.