Show Notes - The Delta Factor: Overcoming Gender Disparities
Flashback Friday: The Delta Factor: Overcoming Gender Disparities
Originally Published: November 14, 2018
In this episode, Dr. Tiffany Proffitt talks with Dr. Esther Choo about tangible ways to view and address gender disparities in emergency medicine.
Tiffany Proffitt, DO, MABS
Honor Health, Scottsdale, AZ
Dr. Esther Choo, MD
Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine at the Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
Former president of AWAEM
FemInEM Advisory Board member
Co-founder of Equity Quotient
Recorded at ACEP 2018 on the Expo floor. A discussion with Dr. Esther Choo on overcoming gender disparities in medicine as well as advice to residents and core faculty for implementation of techniques to encourage change and advancement. Introduction to Dr. Choo’s new start up Equity Quotient.
Content of Show Notes:
Dr. Choo’s Top 3 for Overcoming Gender Disparities in Medicine:
- Find your support network - there are local and national groups!
- You are NOT alone!
- Continue to work to improve the problem as you move up.
Just a Few Support Networks:
- Your own hospital’s women’s group – if it doesn’t exist, reach out to your faculty and start one!
- Academy for Women in Academic Emergency Medicine
- American Association of Women Emergency Physicians
- Dr. Choo
Citations for Any Relevant Articles
- Anna S. Mueller, Tania M. Jenkins, Melissa Osborne, Arjun Dayal, Daniel M. O'Connor, and Vineet M. Arora. Gender Differences in Attending Physicians' Feedback to Residents: A Qualitative Analysis. Journal of Graduate Medical Education: October 2017; 9(5): 577-585.
- Dayal A, O’Connor DM, Qadri U, Arora VM. Comparison of Male vs Female Resident Milestone Evaluations by Faculty During Emergency Medicine Residency Training. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177(5):651–657.