Stop the Stigma - Part 1
Stop the Stigma: Part 1
July 15, 2023
Did you know roughly 400 physicians in the U.S. die by suicide each YEAR? That’s approximately double the suicide rate of the general population. Something has got to change. EMRA*Cast host Lizzii Le, MD, sits down with two pioneers, Dr. Amanda Deutsch and Dr. aL’Ai Alvarez, to talk about the #StoptheStigmaEM campaign.
Al'ai Alvarez, MD, FACEP, FAAEM
Clinical Associate Professor, EM
Director of Wellbeing
Co-Director of Human Potential Team
Director, Emergency Medicine Wellness Fellowship
Amanda J. Deutsch, MD
Wellness Fellow, 2023
Clinical Instructor, EM
Did you know roughly 400 physicians in the U.S. die by suicide each YEAR? That’s approximately double the suicide rate of the general population. Something has got to change. EMRA*Cast host Lizzii Le, MD, sits down with two pioneers, Dr. Amanda Deutsch and Dr. aL’Ai Alvarez, to talk about the Stop the Stigma EM campaign.
- Our field is highly stressful, and we experience traumas on the daily.
- Talking to peers can help us relieve stress and validate our feelings. We are not alone!
- Setting boundaries for yourself is important to protecting your mental space.
- Creating a safe environment to discuss our traumas is needed to combat depression and feelings of isolation.
- EM physicians who are proactive about their own mental health protect their ability to maintain optimal, safe patient care!
- October is #STOPTHESTIGMAEM month, when EM organizations across the country will unite to foster education, awareness, advocacy, and policy action related to breaking down barriers to mental health care in EM.
- EMRA will host EMRA Airway Stories on Wednesday, Oct. 11, in Philadelphia. This is a safe space to share the stresses, successes, and everything in between with your peers. Details will be posted at https://www.emra.org/be-involved/events--activities/acep.
- Special thanks to Anish Agarwal, MD, MPH, Chief Wellness Officer for the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, who co-led the StopTheStigmaEM campaign last year.
- Lorna Breen Heroes’ Foundation is leading efforts to promote wellbeing and combat burnout among health care workers; this organization is funded in part by the Dr. Lorna Breen Health Care Provider Protection Act, and it honors an EM leader who died by suicide after shepherding colleagues through the trauma of being on the front lines of the pandemic.
- Physician Task Load and the Risk of Burnout Among U.S. Physicians in a National Survey
- 988: This is the 3-digit emergency number for the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline, for anyone experiencing mental health crisis or seeking help for someone who is in crisis.